PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair
Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 18:08
Carmoisine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gblen

The recruitment process is very changeable in Ryanair. It really does depend when you join. I waited about 5 months from interview to Type Rating. Some waited a lot less as they were prepared to take a cancellations like a friend of mine at about 24 hrs notice!

There was a complete backlog in the system when I went through it. It backed up due to a combination of factors but the main one was a total lack of investment in back office staff. Some waited up to 10 months from finishing the Type Rating to line training, without pay. This was seemingly a once off, and things have changed now. I believe it is usually a matter of weeks from end of type to Base Check and onto line training now.

Once the Base Check is done you will get a roster. I was lucky I only had one base for my line training before getting moved on to my requested first choice of base. My course mates varied in theor experiences. One literally had a days training in Pisa, then a Standby day then a day in CRL. The week after in STN then in Dublin. I don't know if this still happens but it can. I think it may have been realted to the training crisis last year. It seems from looking at the rosters that you would at least do a whole working week in one base now.

Life as a S/O. It was really hard at the start. I was making 890 GBP which didn't even cover the B&B and food bills. I was under intense pressure financially and then getting used to 4-4.30 am alarm clock calls 5 days in a row and trying to get to grips with line training was very difficult. I can't say I look back on that period with any fondness. The first few months on half sector pay were very tight, I was only spending money on surviving, but still living pay cheque to pay cheque.

Once I got on full sector pay a huge weight was lifted from around my neck. I was able to live a little. Got a reasonable place to live. Got a car. Was able to go to the pub a little more. Manage to start learning the language of the new country I found myself in and started to feel a little less alien in it.

As for the flying. Lots of when I was on half sector pay, but when I went to full I stopped doing max hours every month. The earlies are a killer. A week of them which usually report at 5.30 am local and finish at up to 5 pm really takes it out of you.

It is a great place to learn though. 4 sectors a day, lots of hands on flying. Short runways, ATC that can't speak English, terrain critical airports, Lots and lots of non precision approaches, Circle to land Non Precision approaches at night time in crappy weather, sometimes you have to fly a visual as its only on offer, lots of winter Ops and snow, airports with no one else there to the bust TMAs of London and Dublin. From that point of view interesting stuff.

You have to feed and water yourself at work. Nothing provided, not even drinking water for crew. It was removed by the company to save money.