PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Flies into Hangar
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 14:39
RW-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gads, I just saw this yesterday but note it happened in 2004.

The guy's an idiot, period.

No hover power check performed. That says it all, because if done, he could have established no drift, etc. (Or better yet, move away from the hangar area to depart, why chance it? He had "All that room" away from the hangar, including perhaps air taxiing to a spot or runway for takeoff Hmm ... Poor decision making on his part, and it is not the position of the heli on the ramp that is a factor IMO. I'm sure we all typically have moved our birds out of the hangar typically to a position for liftoff, but NOT for takeoff, so I'm discounting the location, but that leads me to my theory:

This guy was showboating, plain and simple IMO: a botched hi-perf takeoff that wasn't even done vertically until he was clear of the hangar height, (that is my take on it, I mean listen to the narrator, this guy must have pumped them all up into going on a flight ...)

When I used to operate on the charlie ramp at FXE, those hangars and their locations were one of my highest priorities, we always maneuvered further down the taxiway for takeoffs, etc.

Blaming the kid was just poor form, and I agree with previous posters, he didn't seem to be getting over his shock too quickly to evacuate everyone.

The hangar door? Sure, it got in the way, but no one "moved" the door into his flight path not going to hold up, and didn't from the NTSB report.