PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A 380 (Merged)
Thread: A 380 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 12:29
Curious Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with Rainboe. What I think is misleading people is the rush or orders for the 787, which is a totally different market. The usual timeline for these things is a number of launch orders, maybe a few prior to entry into service, and then an increase in orders once it has proved it can cut the mustard transporting the SLF. In this respect it is the 787 that is proving the exception to the rule, as Boeing have been lucky enough to shift enough units that airlines are almost being panicked into buying it as available delivery slots move further into the distance.

You can largely ignore the USA as far as passenger 380 orders is concerned - 777 seems to be the maximum size that they will buy. Don't forget that it is 6 years since NW ordered their last couple of 744s, and nearly 10 since United did so. I don't see any of the newer US carriers going for them either. India and China are the obvious places where few 380s have been ordered, and I would think that will change in the next 3 years.