PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A unified Union from top to bottom.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 02:17
dodgybrothers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not condoning pay of 15k, I had to accept it and managed to pay my fees with it but of course that doesn't make me a hero and I don't wish it on anyone. Other unions such as the TWU have far cheaper rates and more clout, unfortunately our union botched their clout credibility 17.5 years ago. Times to airlines are far less than what they were 10-20 years ago and jet seats 'appear' more abundant yet less lucrative. The cycle is not isolated to our industry but it does seem to be more prevailant, yet our regulator not only condones it but openly supports it. The MCPL is evidence of this.

It is chicken and the egg, do you drop the rates entirely to get more involved? I would think that the AFAP have to drop their rates to 0.5% to try to bolster the membership not their union coffers and at least attempt to increase membership. At least that drop in rate would reflect a drop industry standard pay(!)

The % of pay is fair, just the the Hong Kong tax system where everyone pay a flat 15% (might be more these days) so if you earn more, you pay more not like the @rsehole braketed system we have here.