PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A unified Union from top to bottom.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 00:13
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A unified Union from top to bottom.

I posted this on another thread, but it mostly went unnoticed.

I understand union fees are currently around 1% of annual salary in the AFAP, not sure about AIPA! Why not increase this to 1.1 or 1.2% and make membership free to those who can least afford it? This would in effect bring all pilots into one group and stop the rot from 'beneath' as it has so eloquently been put.

May I suggest a cut off for free membership that sits just below the award rate for a Turboprop Captain (most would recognise that at this point in your career it's almost a livable wage). This way F/O's, Charter Pilots and many Instructors would gain free mebership and have the union work on their behalf for better conditions.

People who are a little further advanced in their careers would be supporting those who are up and coming and could expect some loyalty in return with regard to under cutting of wages, only then might we have some hope of uniting all levels of aviation!

Think about it...
Cheers, HH.
I am re-posting it, in the hope of provoking some discussion, what do you think? Any improvements?