PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying when pregnant
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 23:34
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Butterfield,
Since when is aspirin a drug?.It is a willow bark extract
Aspirin is just as much a drug as Morphine, Atropine, Heroin, Codeine, Digoxin, Cocaine and many, many more - all of which can be obtained from plant extracts. Just because the source of a drug is herbal does NOT mean it isn't a drug. All of those I have listed so far, and that includes Aspirin, can be lethal without necessarily having been taken as an overdose. Toxicity is an individual matter and there are always those for whom the normal does will cause problems - I am one of those. In my case a far less than normal dose of Aspirin will produce clotting problems - sufficient on one occasion to make my GP think I may have had leukaemia, fortunately I didn't but I had previously been able to take aspirin with impunity.
Whilst I do not deny that the Professor is a knowledgable person I am sure that he would never prescribe anything for anyone without having knowledge of that persons medical and obstetric history and neither would I. To do otherwise would be extremely irresponsible.
I am not an irresponsible person who dishes out mindless uninformed medical advice.
I am merely passing on information from an extremely well qualified source
Whilst I am sure that it was done with the best of intentions, the fact remains that your advice IS uninformed. You do NOT know the medical and obstetric history of the pregnant mums reading this forum and neither do I (and I AM qualified to give appropriate advice) - hence my advice to see their GP, Obstetrician or Midwife before taking anything. Do you know all the possible side effects of aspirin? As I said above, your informed source is prescribing on an individual basis with the benefit of knowledge not only of that person's history but also of the drug in question and what is suitable for one person may be contra-indicated in another. Please don't put peoples health and lives at risk by suggesting they take certain substances - some human beings have a nasty habit of seeing things and going ahead without bothering to make themselves fully informed first - and it isn't always the less intelligent ones who do so. Pregnancy can do odd things to people and their way of thinking and what looks like a good idea to a mum wanting to do the best for her baby may turn out to have dreadful consequences.
I am delighted that you and your wife have such a positive attitude to drug taking but don't let it become a fixation so that something is refused because you don't like taking medicines. Over-use of antibiotics is a menace and has caused serious problems with resistance but they DO have their place. I probably woudn't be here today if it were not for them.