PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Navs (WSO) - the future
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 23:20
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Tonks

How much does your son want to be RAF or how much does he want to fly? The reason I'm asking - and I never thought I'd find myself advertising the WAFUs (come on, I'm advertising here - had to get some sort of dig in ), however, if your son wants to fly more than he wants to be in the RAF, he shouldn't discount the FAA. They have different selection standards - not lower - just different, and he may find that they would be keen to snap him up.

I only say this as I had a chum on the UAS that applied to Cranwell for pilot and was told in no uncertain terms that he would never make a pilot. Was a bit of a shock to then bump into him again almost 10 years later flying Junglies in Basrah. He went for a debrief and then walked across the AFCO from the RAF to the RN desk and they bit his hand off.

Like I said, different ...... sometimes very different and difficult to understand (the RN procedure for asking to pass the salt has to be heard to be believed!), but still a bloody good bunch and certainly worth a punt if he wants to fly rather than be in a specific branch of the military. However, if he mentions AAC, then I suggest you threaten to write him out of the will