PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigation Woes...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 20:04
Droopystop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I am ATPL(H). Two crew, IFR, scheduled type flying in a stabilised but non autopilot aircraft. We do have a (notice the singular) GPS which is approved as a primary nav aid in certain scenarios. We do use flight planning software at base. I am not anti modern stuff and would use it by preference. But there are times (like when the network crashes at work - not uncommon) when the wheel is dragged out. Similarly, on the odd occasion the GPS does throw a wobbly we use it in flight. More commonly we use a wheel to plan subsequent flights on return legs. Yes there is a GPS sat there, but to be quite honest it is often less hassel to use the wheel and not substantially slower.
Don't write off the wheel. It is an incredibly powerful tool and alot easier to use than is made out - practice makes perfect! There are even things it can do that our GPS cannot, like work out intercepts for moving way points (ok I agree that is not terribly useful).
Gadgets are great, but it doesn't mean the old stuff doesn't work. We still often fly IFR with no HSI, no Autopilot and no second GPS and we still get home on time.

Bose,

Not that we have a chance to do Suduko puzzles, but how do you use the wheel to solve them?!!