PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Fat to Fight!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 19:26
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Daf Hucker, 'fit for the job'.

We had an AEOp, probably about 18 stone. He could do a mile and a half every 3 months in about 25-30 minutes.

He could also get himself and his nav bag into the aircraft, sit in his seat for 9 hours, monitor the ESM and MAD, and make a round of tea (long lead from his seat) all the while being 'fit for purpose'.

Had we ditched he would probably have survived at least twice as long as the racing snakes, say 15 minutes, as we didn't have immersion suits then.

If it was decreed that he had to do the b p test then we would have lost a valuable sensor operator either through heart attack or admin discharge.

The acid test is fit for purpose. If it be decreed that an aircraft engineer has to be able to drop tools, pick up a weapon, and advance to contact then he should be trained for the whole package.

If an accounts clerk is to be expected to lock the safe, pack away the pencils, and muster everyone in a shelter then that is what she should be trained for.

If both are required to fill sandbags and build the shelter then ditto.

Without a defined task exactly what level of fitness are they aiming for? Body strength, endurance or burst? You can't have them all.