PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Injured Woman refused air lift by HEMS and dies
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 16:40
Revolutionary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TorqueOfTheDevil, I detect a hint of resentment towards fat people in your post, which can be summarized as: "if you're such a self-control lacking slob that you can barely fit your fat arse inside your crummy, poorly maintained car anymore, then veer off the road because the view outside the windshield is blocked by all the candy wrappers lying on your dash, you deserve to be left by the roadside." Or to paraphrase Marie Antoinette: "Let them eat fruit."

I know it hurts to be a healthy, trim person and to feel that your tax dollars are helping to underwrite other peoples' unchecked gluttony and laziness. Personally I hate it when my tax dollars are used to repair some highway in Nebraska that I'll never use, but oh well. When it comes to health care, you might as well get used to the idea that you, a healthy, carrot-munching tri-athlete, are contributing more to the system than you might ever take out, and that others lean on the system more than they ever put in.

Emergency rooms of hospitals are filled with fat, lazy, stoned, alcoholic and/or stupid people who got themselves shot or stabbed, who overdosed, got drunk and fell down, didn't wear their seatbelts and got ejected or otherwise contributed to their own sorry state. You hardly ever see any carrot-munching tri-athletes in there. But even a person who is wholly responsible for his own injury, such as a 'triple six' or attempted suicide, is still deserving of medical care wouldn't you agree?

Of course people should be more like you and me and crack open a nice bag of lettuce to munch on instead of a packet of crisps. But there's what you and I think people should do and then there's reality. Maybe we're all on a Darwinian path to becoming 300 pound behemoths who will someday sprout two assholes just to get rid of all the garbage we eat. Who knows? The operating word here is 'reality' not 'should'. So yes, if the reality is that the average customer is getting bigger then we as an industry need to consider providing a bigger vehicle.

And don't think 'financial implications'. Think 'economic opportunities' and a chance to get a bigger helicopter.