PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Fat to Fight!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 16:24
formertonkaplum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Startermotor....

I agree. Most times I have reached a birthday and the levels have dropped, they have gone up again before I took the test again.

Now, if these new levels are again to be increased, I will be doing a level I have not had to acheive in almost 15 years!

These levels were devised and the test developed by Boffins at Loughborough Uni. The RAF Based its intial levels on the findings and results of the Boffintry. The expected amount of failure was now acheived and so the PTI types (Don't get me started on those Stretcher-Bearers), put forward plans to hike the levels as they now knew better than Boffins !!

The vast majority of Police Forces use the same test as an entry requirement only, with no annual testing. Most constabularies (and I know someone will post saying such and such a constabulary is this and that), but most have a test requirement of 5-10! Thats It.

Whilst I do think there is a place for fitness to a prescribed standard and there is a need for evaluation of this, we are currently going massively in the wrong direction. As so many are saying, we have minimal time within the working day now to acheive, let alone factor in 3 x 50 Mins a week in the gym.

With additional threats of of extended working days to ensure attendance at mandated PT sessions, Remedial PT for persons who fail to attain the new levels and ultimate administrative action should an individual fail to achieve these new levels after a series of attempts; this will do nothing but turn more people away from the service at a time when we are Haemorrhaging personnel.

I believe (again, please prove me wrong someone), that QR's state you are to maintain a level of fitness sufficient to be able to perform your duties. If someone is capable of serving OOA, they are therfore fit, regardless of what any Bleep test and person in shorts three sizes to tight says. Exceptions exsist and we all look and wonder at how certain individuals manage to walk let alone climb stairs; but they are not the norm. The vast majority of personnel in the RAF are fully capable of performing their duties. They must therefore, BE FIT.

Finally, I think it will be a brave person who terminates the career of someone on the basis of failure to acheive a level on the Beep test. As the youngest Female level is easier than all but the top Male levels, there is grounds for sexual discrimination. Additionally, in a soceity now which does not allow Ageism, we have age related levels.

Mr Gilbert Blades and partners will be getting increased custom.....