PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 182 (or similar) self-fly charter in Namibia
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 13:12
Staalburger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Namibia ia an awesome country to do touring in an aircraft,I would suggest using an aircraft not smaller than a 182,maybe you should think of using a C210,the most popular aircraft in Namibia.
Make sure you have a good GPS and VFR maps,you will get lost like nothing if you do not have proper NAV equipment and check the availability of AVGAS wherever you go.

All the airfields in Namibia are gravel except for the bigger airports which have asphalt so be sure that you know how to do take-offs from high and short strips safely (sorry if I sound like I'm coaching but I don't know your experience).

Good places to visit are: Swakopmund,Etosha Game Reserve,Fish River Canyon, Immenhof Game Farm(should you go here please tell the hosts that "Oloff" suggested you go there), Luderitz(very nice crayfish and the old diamond town "Kolmanskop")Sossusvlei Mountainlodge,Sossusvlei Lodge(these to areas have awesome scenery with some of the highest,reddest dunes in the world,make sure to do a scenic trip from the south coastwise to Swakopmund but make sure that you have done good fuel-planning,you can also try going to Wilderness Rhino Lodge/camp where you can do trips into the desert with good friends of mine who run the camp there called Chris and Emsie: [email protected] once again please inform them that I suggested you go there should you decide to go.

If you want quite accurate co-ordinates for most strips in the country make sure you get the latest edition of "Airfields of Southern Africa",it is a guide with a heap of information with regards to the airfields.Always phone the place where you are going with an ETA,ask them to confirm that their runway is ok for use and confirm the co-ordinates for all strips by actually asking the people to give it to you,it can cause heaps of trouble and stress when you can't find the runway because there are so many in some areas that you can get confused easily.During June the Kuska(coastal festival) should be on for the last week of June as far as I can remember and this is a very interesting and fun-filled occasion,especially the last day when it is a sort of beerfest which is a huge party and lots of fun.

I hope you can use some of the stuff I suggested

Cheers