PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Type Rating
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 09:56
Budgie Smuggler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The following may be of interest, as I requested quotes from Air NZ, Alteon, Premair (US) and Pan Am (US) last year, for A320 type rating training - All prices were obtained late 2006 and may have changed since that time.

Air NZ: - NZ$ 33,000 (+ 12.5% GST) = NZ$ 37,125 (approx AU$ 33,000). The training can take up to 6 weeks, so accommodation, living and travel costs would need to be factored into your budget. I did receive a very comprehensive training summary and the course does look good (on paper).

Alteon (Brisbane): - AU$ 33,550 - allow in excess of 30 days for the training. Training for the A320 can only be provided for trainees who are employed by or bonded to an airline that operates the A320. This is due to intellectual property issues imposed upon Alteon (a Boeing Company) by Airbus.

Premair (USA): US$ 12,000 - allow about 20-22 working days for training and US$ 50/night for accommodation + living costs (food etc) + transport (local) and airfares. (http://www.premair.com)

Pan Am International Flight Academy: - US$ 12,200 - allow about 25 working days for training and US$ 60/night for accommodation + living costs + airfares. Pan Am advise that they have a shuttle bus for transport. (http://www.panamacademy.com/type.asp?id=216)

If money is no object, I get the impression that Air NZ would provide the most comprehensive training. Also, I have a couple of mates who have secured employment with some Asian Operators and they did their training with Alteon and seemed happy enough with the outcome.

The US training providers seem OK, however you do far fewer hours in the SIM than with ANZ and Alteon, so if you have any difficulties you are going to need to pay for more training. I am not sure about Pan Am, but Premair's training is recognised by CASA, so it can be put straight on your licence.

At the end of the day, you will need to do your own research and make your own judgements and allow for such factors as exchange rates, length of course, accommodation costs etc as well as your own personal training needs.

Best of luck.