PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 09:30
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BEagle, some years earlier we used to fly mixed loads of 8x25 and 8x100.

The mantra that all Nav Rads were taught was "zero press - zero press" on the 90-way; this would ensure the first bomb release pulse was sent to the first available bomb.

Now the 25 lbs had to be dropped from low level and the 100 lber from high level. If the bombs were loaded so that the 25lbs were first and the 100lbs second, but the crew planned the high level drops first, the Nav Rad would have to 'step through' the 25s so that the first firing pulse went to bomb number 9. This evolution was deemed too intellectually challenging by the powers that be, probably pilots, so we would arrange for the bombs to be loaded with the 100lbs set to go first.

Carefully briefed the Nav Rad went on the sortie. All he had to do was zero-press etc and drop 8 x 100lbs. If he did not drop all 8 I seem to remember that he was supposed to bring all remaining bombs home.

Well, on this occasion he had the load correctly set for the mission - which, this time, was 25lbs first and 100lbs second. Off he goes and carefully steps through all 8 25lbs and proceeds to drop 8 100lbs at Wainfleet at low level. Predictably 8 unexpolded bombs although he got 8 scores.

Then off to Jurby for the high level phase. Once again he dropped all 8 25lbers that were susceptible to spinning and other sins and proceeded to get a very large and irregular bomb pattern.

And back to the fusing. In practice bombing fuse selection was an irrelevance. Our unofficial mantra then was 'train as you would for the best scores.' By 1982 a large degree of corporate memory had gone. Dilution levels would have been high.

Even in the 60s training shortcuts were taken. Some crews, to 'discharge' the nuclear bomb response simulator away from the target area. Bomb doors would be opened and the requisite number of firing sequences would be done before the serious business of actually doing the practice or simulated drops.