PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 08:24
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
50+, clearly you weren't in Cyprus.

We got to chuck several tons of HE into the oggin. I believe that notices to mariners were issued but a 100 of so tons of HE going off over an hour of so must have echoed as far as Israel and Egypt.

We dropped free-fall from 2500 feet with, I believe, 10 millisecond delay pistols tail pistols. I don't remember any nose pistols. It was both spectacular and beautiful.

Running in at 500 feet we could see the target 'bloom' as the bombs from the aircraft 10 miles ahead detonated. I used to wonder what it would be like with a stream attack on an airfield with 4 aircraft at 30 seconds interval.

As each explosion developed it would throw up a mass of water magenta in colour. You could see the difference in yield, bomb to bomb. I don't recall a dud.

The first stick I remember feeling in the aircraft. Later sticks I only remember seeing them. It is possible they had longer delays.

On a later demo in Epi Bay our flight commander dropped 21 retards from 300 feet - very impresive. Great blue grey water spouts reaching up to the clouds above the Vulcan.