PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which QF Aircraft are being maintained over seas
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 04:22
Bolty McBolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
744 - In Singapore by a facility owned by Singapore Airlines (they use prisoners and Qantas own audit says not to send aircraft there)
I think we all will find that labour from Changi prison was never used at the Singa Airlines Maint facility due to one very good reason.

At Changi there are 2 MROs 1. is SIAEC (Singapore airlines engineering company) which is within the confines of the airport which means you require an Airport I.D plus a SIA ID to enter the facility. This where the current QF 744 maintenance is being done.

The other facilty/MRO is SASCO, which is outside the confines of Changi airport at the western end. For aircraft to enter SASCO they open large gates from Changi to allow the aircraft to enter the SASCO hangars.
IE. you do not require an Airport ID to work in this hangar.
Singapore is not known for its liberal attitudes and IMHO I doubt you could qualify for a airport pass if you had spent time in Changi prison.

QF had some work done by SASCO 3-4 years ago on the 767 fleet which may the source of the prison labour comments floating around the press and prune at the moment.
But without proof it ends up being a he said she said fight...

PS for those that have seen both MROs in SIN, I tink most would agree SASCO is the better operation ??