PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC Flying Pay change
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2007, 23:46
Ron Fenest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ginseng

Many thanks for that and I understand what you are telling me. Making the decision on OTT in the RAF should have been a relatively easy one to make as most people would have known whether they were likely to serve until 55 or indeed if they would want to, I imagine that there was a massive uptake of the offer.

The AAC on the other hand made it perfectly clear, including MCM unit briefings to all non-AH line pilots that the chance of serving past 22 years was effectively NIL. This has to have been a major factor in making the decision to stay on AFPS 75 (well it was the clincher for me). I could probably quantify this by asking how many people (non AH/QHI) elected to change to AFPS 05. I could be wrong but I reckon I could count them on one hand.

I'm sure that when/if VEng is introduced then those same people will feel a bit cheated by the system. This is in fact changing the whole picture and as such I feel it would be only fair to re-offer the pension transfer option. We will not be the only Corps with this problem and I would be interested to know how others are feeling.

I realise what the "rules" state. But I also realise that rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. If they can change the terms of service then surely they can rethink other options. Actually the offer of VEng combined with the offer to transfer to AFPS05 would be a useful carrot to have in the bag for retention, it puts people straight back into a pension trap that they wouldn't want to leave early.

I also believe that pigs can fly. Of course the easy solution is to make it clear that extended service of any kind is voluntary and as such I can get right back in my little box.

All of course just my useless opinion.