PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC Flying Pay change
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2007, 21:31
Ron Fenest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not for one minute doubting anyones experience here but some of this info conflicts with what I am being told and I am on the verge of making career changing/continuing/leaving decisions.

This is what I've been told:

When the offer to transfer pension came around the decision could only be based on what was known at the time, ie: 22 year career. I was informed that in the event of my terms/conditions of service changing ie: commissioning, continuance or LSL(A) then I would have a further opportunity to transfer to 05. This worked the other way as well in that if I could have reasonably expected to serve to 55 and had elected to go onto 05, then subsequently got the old "services no longer required" at 48 then I could switch back to 75.

I got that pearl of wisdom straight from the mouth of the SO1 who signed the OTT letters, not from my RAO or the AAC.

It makes a lot of sense too as how the hell are people supposed to second guess the future, especially in the AAC. Only 2 years ago we were told there were too many pilots and that we needed to lose LOTS over the next 3 years. Guys were actually told to go and find ground jobs and that the chance of continuance/LSL was nil unless you were an AH pilot or an A1 QHI (OK, any QHI). Now we are being told the opposite and things like VEng are being banded about. Obviously the minute anyone takes up VEng they are going to want to switch to 05 as the difference is huge. Logically they must be given that opportunity. If this is not the case then it's a no-brainer, take the pension+lump sum and leave.

I would of thought that moving onto PES(A) was a change in terms/conditions of service, am I being silly?

All of the points raised on this thread need clarifying with the relevant PS depts and a precis/briefing given to all aircrew. People need to make informed decisions about their futures and moving goalposts monthly does not allow for this. These decisions also have to be tri-service to stop the AAC feeling like second class citizens.

Like a lot of people I would happily stay in until 55, I love being in the Army but like those same people I am aware of my earning potential in civvy street and the quality of life on offer, might not be as much fun at work but hey-ho I have got a family to think of. I don't mind 6 months a year on ops for the next 15 years as long as my terms are as fair as the next bloke (the one in Blue).