PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 3
Thread: Aer Lingus - 3
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2007, 19:00
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:

"Maxalt ... unfortunetly ... the omens for the Irish economy being what they are right now, you may be bang on the mark!

Lets hope things go well for EI in the near future and the two new 330's DUO & DUZ don't herald the same times as the last great "expansion" with CAL and CAM (the two 763's in the early 90's).

-----------------------------------

I have to say, with all due respect, that I'm with EI-RB on this one. Sure, there are clouds on the horizon and there are concerns about various issues, but for a start, the situation now is very different from that in the early 1990s. For one thing, EI acquired these two 767s on the expectation - which proved wrong - that the govt would have the interest and vision to allow direct flights; they were wrong, but EI could have used these aircraft a lot better. I've always thought, for what it's worth, that one of the worst decisions EI has ever made was leaving these aircraft idle, out on the runway, for months on end; they could have worked to BOS and/or ORD.

That's yesterday. Today is different and tomorrow, well, that's going to be GOOD. It now looks likely that the Brits will NOT veto Open Skies, which means that the door is open. Sure EI will face new competition, but its t/a costs are among the lowest in the industry. With a decent fleet, good service and a good home base (well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad ), I think EI can make it work. I think that there is VERY good reason to be optimistic about EI's future, despite the various clouds, threats and challenges which will always be there.

Positive thinking, best foot forward; for years, EI has been held back by an insane, politically driven, suicidally irresponsible regulation which failed in its main aim and robbed us of immense potential. From tomorrow, that's history. Time to look forward with optimism. There'll be bad times, there'll be setbacks, but the overall picture looks very good and I think EI is up to the challenge.