PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airmalta abinitio sponsorship vacancies
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2007, 14:02
zickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you lot are saying about KM is absolutely correct but do not forget that in Malta we're very limited when it comes to job opportunities for pilots. Unless you want to move abroad, everything boils down to 3 options.

You can get a job on the right seat of the Lear 45 with EuroJet. On paper a great job but everyone knows what your role as first officer would be at that company. Seeing that most people leave after barely a year proves my point and I don't need to go into any more details.

Then there is Medavia, an excellent company, good wages and conditions but at the end of the day, you're working in Libya, which is not exactly the nicest place on earth to be. A CASA 212 type rating won't get you very far if you eventually want to leave, although turbo-prop time is very valuable as well, but at the end of the day, you'd have to be type rated on another aircraft to get another job. Having flown there (Libya) before makes me want to steer as far away as possible from that country.

Which leaves you with KM. As previously said, conditions are awful but an A320 type rating opens many doors to eventual greener pastures once your contract is over and you decide to leave. The experience gained on-line is also invaluable since you're operating in European airspace to major airports, flying one of the youngest fleets around.

So basically we're not exactly spoilt for choice in Malta, unless you want to move abroad. A job with a foreign carrier isn't the easiest thing to get into anyway. Having a license and no prospective job makes you do what in different circumstances you would have thought twice about, and rightly so.

I hope you guys see my point. It's a case of trying to go for the lesser evil and minimizing your losses. The aviation industry is not what it used to be and in the last few years it has become increasingly difficult for pilots to get the right job at the right time.