PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible admendments to VFR operations under VMC?
Old 21st Mar 2007, 11:30
CAPTAIN COP!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible admendments to VFR operations under VMC?

Have any fellow Ppruners read, or heard about a possible introduction by the CAA to admend the VFR whilst under VMC?

As everyone knows - at the present time a PPL(H) & (A) pilot can operate under Visual Flight Rules in Visual Meteorological Conditions providing a minimum distance from cloud of atleast 1,500 metres horizontally is kept and 1,000 feet vertically and in sight of the ground.

Apparantly, if true, the new admendment will state that a PPL(H) & (A) pilot would NOT be able to operate under VFR in VMC if the cloud base is 800 feet agl or lower (relevant to the aerodrome, airport, area and transit route) and if the visibilty is less than 3k.

Taking in to consideration that a helicopter may operate in conditions with less than 1,500 flight visibility, provided that forward speed allows sufficient collision-avoidance time in prevainling conditions, I can only assume the above also applies.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just trying to clarify whether it is true for my own interest?

Captain Cop!