PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Start Dates
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2007, 22:13
MrWooby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find the biggest problem facing Qantas pilots, is a lack of undertsanding where you future is going. If you join Emirates, or Cathay you know the expansion plans of these airlines, they have a good product and a vision for where they want their airline to be. Sure, their management play hard ball too, but at least they believe in their product. In Qantas we have this stupid two brand concept, with jetstar destroying mainline. We are constantly told that future expansion depends on where the growth is. We are told lies by management, ie if you vote up this EBA you will be included in the Jetstar process. This is all about maintaining the image the Qantas is operating normally while they grow a substandard product. I would advise anyone contemplating a job (i was going to say career but that doesn't exist now) with Qantas to stay well clear. Especially if employment is on an AWA. Relations between management and pilots is at an all time low and heading south. The best option is Cathay/Dragonair. No luck there, then pay for your endorsement with Virgin, Jetstar, Tiger etc, get quality experience quickly and then head O/S. You will achieve a must better career that way than trying to exist in the unhealthy environment Qantas has become. Remember with the number of flying jobs coming up in Australia over the next few years the ball is in your court, not the Airlines anymore.

Just an additional thought; A career as a QF second officer is just that, you are restricting your available career opportunities to QF, and are reliant on QF (that not a situation I like to be in). Not many airlines consider SO time useful. Emirates won't consider SO time towards the requirement of 2000 hours multi crew jet. Your aim is to get that airline job asap and to quickly get the experience to make yourself employable elsewhere if the sky caves in in your current airline. And how many times have we heard Dixon say that QF is in for tough times.

Last edited by MrWooby; 20th Mar 2007 at 23:36.