PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airmalta abinitio sponsorship vacancies
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2007, 21:50
zickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Claycomm, most of what you have said is true. Still, from some of your fuming comments I'm starting to think that somewhere along the lines, there is a sense of "sour grapes" if you know what I mean.

Yes, the company isn't doing too well, but that's hardly breaking news. The management has never been very good either. The only difference is that before, KM did not have (or had very little) competition on most of it's routes, thus enabling it to make loads of money even though plagued with management, political and over-staffing problems. So basically, you're saying nothing new. It's just that times and the aviation industry in general has changed and KM has struggled to keep abreast. The introduction of low-cost carriers has obviously made matters worse.

Regarding your "nice" words about the chairman at KM ... well he is just a figure-head unfortunately and rest assured that he is not on the astronomical wages you have hinted at. Chairman and board member remunerations were down graded big time as well (and rightly so). Last chairman to be on such a healthy package was LG (I'm sure you know who I mean). Also do not forget that this same guy who you say cannot distinguish an aircraft from a toothpick, apart from being one of the country's top economists was at the helm of MIA (Malta International Airport) for many years with enviable results. I don't think he should know anything about pilot's licenses either. That's what the management at Flight Ops is there for anyway.

Yes, the main problem at KM is indeed over-staffing but do not forget that it was the opposition party that you say you support that when in government burdened KM with a lot of the unnecessary people it still has today. One cannot but remember the 8000 jobs in various government establishments, including Air Malta that the present opposition party loaded onto Maltese tax payers a few days before the 1987 general election; a burden still being paid for nowadays.