PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 20th Mar 2007, 18:00
DUB-GREG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ya,

I'm also from Ireland. From a young age I always wanted to fly, when I was around your age I decided "thats it, i want to fly". Just like you I suppose.

I started flying in Weston with NFC, personally I didn't like there attitude to new people. My personal feeling is that NFC is too big a club and has forgotten about how to be personal. Anyway I continued to fly there for a while, until I got sick of there whole; "we cant fit you in for a flight for another 4weeks or so".

So, I left it for a few months, until I moved to a new job in the Midlands and found a small airfield in Longford called Abbeyshrule, (EIAB). I did around 26 hours down there and really enjoyed it. Everyone was very friendly and personable and I'm still friends with them to this day.

26 hours or so, was all I needed to realise that flying was for me. Aged 23 now, I really did need to get my finger out, plus I was really growing tired of my chosen current career.

After a long look at the pro's and con's of certain colleges, I came to my own opinion that FTE (www.flighttrainingeurope.com) and the integrated route was the best option for me.

So to make sure I wasn't waisting my time I decided to get my Class 1 medical. Its done in the Matter private in Dublin. I passed that.

Next step was to go for selection in Jerez with FTE. I didn't do too well so I was told to come back a few months later after studying my weak points... Maths!

I did and now I start next month at Jerez, after passing the second batch of selections. I'm not a pilot yet, but what I can say is that there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get where you want to be. I wont even touch on the finance and the rigmarole I had to do to get the cash sorted. I even remember AIB (allied irish bank) laughing at me when I asked to borrow the best part of €100,000.

Me personally, will keep jumping through those hoops until Im in a cockpit flying passengers! And I think thats what it takes. What im saying is if you really want to do it you'll start researching, like you are now, so thats the first hoop! (one of many) Well done!

As I said I start in Jerez next month, so Im not a pilot yet, BUT if you want any advice or help just PM or Email me!

Take care and breast of luck with it!

G.