PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of QNH
Thread: Use of QNH
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2007, 15:05
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fireflybob,

Would you care to amend your second-last remark to - "the sooner we abolish QFE and the Regional Pressure Setting in the WORLD the better!

QFE is a CFIT or a mid-air collision going somewhere to happen.

I have no particular nationalistic aversion to QFE, I learned to fly using QFE at a 770 ft elevation airfield, it was the WORST pre-conditioning that I've suffered in a 42 year flying career, bar none.

World altimetry is a mess - QFE, QNH, QNE, Altimeter sub-scales in "Hg and hPa, Altitudes in feet, Altitudes in Metres, idiotically low Transition Altitudes, Variable Transition Levels, differing Transition Altitudes and Levels within the same country, ICAO levels, RVSM, even the 'Metric' countries like Russia and China have different directional or quadrantal rules, and worst of all, terrain above the Transition Altitude. Add all of that up and what do you get? - CFIT or mid-air collision!

The first piece of garbage to rid ourselves in a world-wide altimetry clean-up is QFE, assign it to the aviation history books where it belongs.

The Yanks and Canadians (I'm neither) are about the only people who got it right. The Australians came close, nice try, needs improvement!

Regards,

Old Smokey