PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US training towards UK PPL - advice, please
Old 20th Mar 2007, 13:58
michaelthewannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US training towards UK PPL - advice, please

Hi, everybody.

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post here. Seems like an excellent forum and a nice bunch of people you have here!

So flying is something that's about to fall within my means. I also need an escape from work, and this country, for a little while. It dawned on me that I could do the two together, and still save money, by heading off to the US for ten days or so, and cramming as much flying training as I can in that time. I was thinking of going to the South West, Arizona or the like, as it seems they have the best weather in late Spring - and the best scenery, too.

I'm almost a complete beginner. I did about ten hours on flexwing microlights a year ago (before threat of redundancy put a halt to it), and I did a trial flight in a C152 last year, but that's it. So I intend to do 20-30 hours in my planned excursion - first solo, advanced manoeuvres, maybe a bit of nav - then complete my PPL (and familiarise myself with UK met conditions!) after I return. I'll also get some serious time in with the ground school books and confuser before I go, although I intend to do the exams when I return. Seeing that dual rates on a 172 around Phoenix are $130-140/hour, I'd break even on the flights over, accommodation and car hire after only about 20 hours, compared to UK dual rates at £130-140/hour.

So, can anyone help me with the following questions?

- In the absence of other guidance, I'd presumably be following the FAA syllabus. Would it be possible to make these hours count towards a CAA PPL?

- Would I have to get a visa? (I'm a UK citizen, so I've previously done visa waiver on my trips to the US).

- Can anyone recommend any particular establishments in the South Western USA?

- Is this a sensible thing to do?

Thanks very much for any opinions you can offer!

mtw