PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad Weather Circuits
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2007, 13:44
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is madness: novices arguing with Chuck Ellsworth on a point like this.
I think you have missed the point.

The discussion was not about whether a bad weather circuit should be flown at 500 feet or 200 feet, but what is a bad weather circuit and when it is useful for the average PPL.

If you, or for that matter Chuck, or anyone else, thinks the average PPL should be positioning himself over a field at 200 feet in order to remain VMC, or if you think during a skills test or GFT the instructor or examiner is going to ask you to demonstrate a bad weather circuit at 200 feet then .. .. ..

Anyhow I might have known that for me to suggest that the type of flying I described would be taken to mean I was advocating wreckless and dangerous flying.
For what it is worth I never suggested any such thing, and I dont think anyone else has (unless I missed it). However, I can understand that was the reaction you might have expected from some.

Personally I am in favour of any skills that improves a pilot's handling of his aircraft and I love aeros for that reason, spot landing competitions and whatever takes your fancy. That aside I would worry about most PPLs that found themselves having to do a circuit at 200 feet to remain in VMC, but I suppose they have already done well to get to their destination remaining at or below 200 feet to remain visual!

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 20th Mar 2007 at 13:55.