PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Son not interested!!
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2007, 12:16
Pablo Martin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My father was in the RAF for a number of years and then a commercial airline captain. My mother, aunty and grandmother were all cabin crew. Aviation has been a big part of my life from a very young age but it was never forced on me, more something that is just there in the background.

Anyway, I went on a number of jump-seat flights and did a couple of sim rides. I must admit I was vaguely tempted but never really desperately wanted it as a future career. Then all of a sudden one day, at the age of about 16-17, it clicked that I couldn't live without it and it was THE thing I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. Sadly this was the point my father told me that he thought the airline industry was going downhill and that I shouldn't join... that meant I definately had to do it! Typical! I'm now in commercial pilot training and loving every moment of it, without a doubt in my mind that this was what I was destined to do.

My thoughts: that it shouldn't be forced upon t'young ones, but give them the opportunity (if possible) to experience it, because after all it might just not be for them. Having said all that, 5yo is very young, give it a chance, I wasn't that into aviation at that age, all is not lost! You never know, they might just turn around one day and suprise you.

Good luck