PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cloud looming over airshow
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2007, 06:12
YesTAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at Avalon today.

High points:

1. Fantastic aerobatic display of a Super Decathlon by Ppruner DjPil.

2. Fantastic aerobatic display by biplane and also jet powered glider.

3. Bose are giving away a Bose shopping bag, Bose Tee Shirt and a small GPS (Gekko) with each $1499 headset. They are part of the U.S. Industry deputation in building C. Finally bought some, Girlfriend now gets to use the DC's.

4. The F18 Super Hornet is 20% larger and 20% noisier. It is a two seat version that requires a rear seat person. It was decided last week by the RAAF that the F111 Navs would switch to this role - navs are very happy.

5. Columbia 400 is a very nice looking aircraft, I just have to sell some children into slavery to afford one.

6. I still can't believe that a C17 can fly.

7. I didn't believe that a tactical transport can do rolls and loops. The C27 can. I wonder what the mess would be like if they did it with a load of troops?

8. For some reason Parking was free. This has to be a mistake.

Low points:

1. Realising that a tail stand is out of the question in a C172.

2. There was nothing worth buying apart from Bose headsets and Columbias. Most of the food stands were still closed and small bucket of chips is $4.00. A hat was $25.00

3. Mockups of sleek missiles, cluster bombs and similar munitions do nothing for me at the moment. I can't remember what all the acronyms stand for (Jdams, Haarm, etc. etc) and I keep getting depressed when I realise we are practicing with these things on the Iraqis.

4. The F18's F16's, F111's make exactly the same sound as they did two years ago and do essentially the same routines.

5. The aircrew and service personnel keep getting younger, on the other hand, an increasing percentage are women.

6. The interesting GA aircraft and warbirds weren't there yet, but of course neither were the crowds.

7. I was going to bring my camera, but I forgot. I was going to take pictures of the most interesting collection of spotters. Their weight seems to be directly proportional to the size of their camera lens multiplied by the number of badges and pins they were wearing.

8. Four interruptions by Jetstar.