PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how Many are leaving ??
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2007, 03:36
Five Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go !!

JJ : You are right about one thing, we as pilots need to stick together and not get set on each other by mngmt. So how do we do that ?

In a perfect world (of highly moralistic people) we as a pilot group would not accept getting command ahead of other pilots who are SENIOR to us, in order to satisfy our own personal needs. Then as a result the company could not reduce a segment of the pilot group's pay and conditions. No pilots would join on the reduced conditions and then the company would cancel the whole idea. "In a perfect world" Careful now JJ this is a hypothetical discussion.

Would you not agree that we as pilot group would be better off if there was no segregation of freighter and pax ? Would you not agree that one pay scale for all pilots is better (assuming it is the higher pax pay) ? Would you not agree that you SHOULD get a crack a command in SENIORITY and that should include all commands ? Do you not agree that if the freighter command was intigrated then we as pilots would get command on passanger in SENIORITY sooner than we do now ?

The current situation is a farce. I am all about fairness and to me the current situation is not handled fairly. Now before you say "Life is not fair, grow up", let me remind you that life was a lot less fair in days gone by. So why is it more "fair" now ? In most part because strong, intelligent people got together and forced change. We as a pilot group should be intelligent enough to realise we are being had. Work more for less pay, but you can be a "commander". So pilots do.

Your comments are extremely simplistic. You imply that everyone gets a chance to bid for early command. Well, they do not. Only pilots that can hold residency in the countries that have the openings can apply for early command. Thereby denying more SENIOR pilots the positions. If the freighter and pax were not seperate you would get a command in Hong Kong, then pilots with residency would take the bases. Either that or they would crew from Hong Kong (we are a Hong Kong airline).

In addition, you must consider that the current set up allows them to by-pass candidates who want early command, a lot easier. "How so ?" you say. If the current rate of Cat Bing for those applying for early command were applied to all commands it would really show up. When someone gets Catb'd for early command they usually content themselves with the fact that they have X years to pax command and that the pay is no different etc. If this was not the case then the complaints would be louder and eventually we would see something change, as commercially that kind of failure in the training department would be unsustainable. Then as a result the commands get offered to progessively less SENIOR pilots.

You infer that every pilot who wants an early command on the freighter gets one. Not true. An example is the classic freighter. I know several pilots who wanted to go for it but were denied and yet everyone accepts that nobody wants those commands and therefore the rapid command hiring is ok !! The current system of categorising FOs is not unlike the system mngmt use to upgrade Cabin crew. In a nut shell it is upgrade by selection. It is used as a discipline tool. They use reasons to hold back one candidate that do not hold back another. There is no transparency to it and therefore it is open too abuse by management or trainers with a particular ax to grind. It is not done in true SENIORITY. If you don't believe me look up those above you in seniority and ask them why they have not taken a command on the freighter (out of SENIORITY).

Having said all that, I do not want to see the pilot group divided. I would like to see more join the AOA . The problem is not with the pilots who do what is available to them under the system. It is with the system.
If you are one of the lucky ones who has taken an early freighter command then well done on the hard work, as it is still not given away. However please reflect on the fact that you fit the mold and were able to progress, while others more SENIOR to you did not.

This comes back too what started my comments. The co. wants us to fly freighters. Why? They are getting short because people are leaving. Maybe not many in the grand scheme of things, but certainly the highest percentages on a month to month total than ever before in our history! You have pax captains flying freighter rosters, and not just one or two trips. You will soon have pax FOs filling the empty spots on the freighter roster. Our CP is not talking to people because he is concerned for the well being of those under his care. He is trying to cover the roster. Why is he having this problem ? The problem is entirely of their own making. Unfortunately, as with other problems, rather than address the actual problem and fix it, they will get out the big stick and force us to solve their problem. As I said before if the freighter group was re-absorbed on the same COS and FTLs all problems would be solved. We would stop loosing FOs and Captains and we would all fly the freighter. Until then I will reserve my contractual right to not fly the freighter.

By the way, where I am from has nothing to do with my understanding of seniority. The seniority concept is applied slightly differently in every contract I have ever read. I am sure that I have read more contracts than you have. It comes down to some basic principles most good for pilots but some major points are bad as well. That however, is a whole other thread !