PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Halfpenny Green is back!
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2007, 23:09
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Pitts, I'm not too sure about the GA community abandoning EGBO as I haven't been there long enough to know the full history but I know they felt a bit hard done to at one point and I think I heard that there was a huge increase in landing fees at one point but it proved counterproductive (no surprise there) so was reversed. The airport also suffered froma rather intermittent cafe service - published opening hours were not always adhered to and it became very unpredictable - that has now been corrected. From what I have managed to pick up, it was hoped to develop the airport to take more small business aircraft and a full ATC service was introduced along with an ATIS. Neither exist any more. There is certainly a lot of work in progress at the moment - overgrown trees and derelict buildings are being cleared presumably with a view to replacing them with more modern ones although I do hope they keep the old buildings near the gate as they give the place character. General tattiness seems to be being dealt with and a neater, tidier appearance encouraged. Call in and see for yourself sometime.