PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad Weather Circuits
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2007, 22:16
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" Quote:
earlier. To do one minute touch and goes requires a circuit height of no more than 150-200 feet. Try it sometime
I do hope that was said in jest!
VFE. "

Why would it be made in jest?

To do one minute touch and goes you could not go higher than 150 to 200 feet in light training aircraft.

When doing type ratings on the PBY on the water all circuits are done at a maximum of 300 feet, they must start the x/wind turn at 200 feet and level out as they turn down wind.

In that the PBY has 104 foot wing span I let them climb to 300 feet just for comfort.

All circuits are three minutes from touch down to touch down and they do ten circuits and change pilots as we train with two pilots on board doing their ratings.

This burns the aircraft handling attitudes and power / airspeed control into their brain. Last year I had a private pilot who owned a Cirrus doing cuircits in the PBY on the water, at first he freaked out when I told him how we were going to do the circuits. However once he got started he was to busy to be worried and after a couple of lessons he was quite comfortable actually flying an airplane rather than driving it like a 747.

So once again to do repetative circuits of one minute in a light training aircraft 200 feet would be your highest point in the circuit.

I have a Cessna Aerobat Tail Wheel conversion that I bought to teach a course called " High command control " and we have an airport about fifty miles from here that is ideal for this type of training....4000 foot paved runway....all flat ground in the airport vicinity.....no traffic....no houses....

One minute circuits are cross countries once you learn how to fly the thing.

C.E.