PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - does anyone have experience with the aviation diploma at BCIT
Old 19th Mar 2007, 21:20
altiplano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have spoken to a few people and some actually say that the top guys from each graduating classes are hired by regional airliners onto jets right away. I find that hard to believe

I do too. I would not listen to whoever told you this ever again for advice as it is a lie.

The BCIT program is run through Pacific Flying Club. I would go there and talk to the instructors and staff and see what you think of them. Don't mention the BCIT program just walk in off the street and do the same to the other schools out in ZBB. See what impressions you take regarding the staff, the aircraft and the facilities and then ask yourself if you are willing to commit to doing ALL of your training there.

In the end BCIT will cost you a lot more than doing your license on your own at a school/schools but you will get a diploma. The value of that diploma is debatable but it can't hurt for the most part. College courses are also very rigid and structured. You can not change your schedule, change flight schools, change instructors. You get what they give you and go where they tell you. Some people need that, I would rather make my own choices. You can also do it faster on your own, and not have to where a tie doing it...

No matter where you do your training it will be a battle for your first job. A lot of people never get one. The best thing you can do now is get a job somewhere like CMA or Westcoast Air working ramp as you do your training and when you're ready for the job maybe you have put in enough "dues" to go right seat on a 1900 or Twotter... Or go north and if you're lucky you might get PIC on a single or right seat on a twin somewhere... or you may have to hit the ramp/dock for a season.

What ever you do good luck.