PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Schools In Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire
Old 19th Mar 2007, 18:54
derby_matt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Schools In Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Hello,

I'm planning to start my PPL in the next few weeks. I live very close to J28 of the M1. This is about half an hour from Derby Airfield, Nottingham Airport, East Midlands Airport and Netherthorpe Airfield.

I've flown an hour from Nottingham Airport a few years ago and think it is my first choice at the moment. It's the most expensive but I've been impressed with the staff and the atmosphere when I've been there.

Reading some posts on here has slightly put me off East Midlands. It seems that a lot of time is spent holding on the ground whilst waiting for commercial planes to land. I'm not sure if this is as much of a problem as I've been thinking though.

Derby and Netherthope are smaller and have grass runways. I've not visted these yet. I'm concerned that the weather would have more of an affect at these airfields.

Has anyone got any experience of learning to fly at any of these airports? Some opinions from students would help me make my decision.

Thanks.