PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wideroe Pilot Quits due to security checkpoint hassles
Old 19th Mar 2007, 17:17
Married a Canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad I no longer work at EGPD tower which is also airside and the controllers had to go through the same type of shennanigans mentioned here.

You had to drive through the checkpoint.....a bottle of water was not allowed in your bag...but a full tank of screenwash beneath the bonnet was fine..along with a full tank of petrol etc etc. I heard one of my ex colleagues called their bluff eventually when he was refused to take through his lunch (pasta and sauce)... He ate some sauce in front of them but they still refused him access with his food. So he drove home...ringing ATC management on the way telling them his disgust. Management argued with security but were met with the "rules is rules" line!
Since then I have heard that marmalade has been refused entry...and you are not allowed more than two pieces of fruit with you either..serious!

It will only take one or two pilots to start the process..and a short staffed ATC unit as controllers turn round and head home. See what the response from the powers that be are then!?

There are some sensible security people out there. I was being searched at YYZ when the officer came across my controller ID and license which I had on me for some reason. When he asked what they were and what my job was he stopped the search there and then....thanked me for my patience, thanked me for the job we do and let me through! That guy probably has been sacked by now! If only the respect was there all the time!