PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHC find S92 & AW139 "Unacceptable"
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2007, 13:44
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
212- Oh yes, I think we went round this loop before. The EGPWS product spec talks about "Minimums" as the call you get with gear down and "altitude" as the call you get with gear up. Here is the relevant extract from the product spec for v24.

6.4.1 Minimums Type Callouts
The Minimums type callouts are given when transitioning the Minimums setting with the landing gear down and not in the
Low Altitude Mode. The Minimums call-out is triggered via a discrete DH input that switches to ground. The computer will
only respond to the first transition encountered until a reset term is satisfied. The Minimums callout is reset by transitioning
from Takeoff to Approach mode or by ascending through 200 feet above the barometric altitude at which the Minimums
callout was previously annunciated. For the S-92 the Minimums callout is triggered from the MDA setting based on
Corrected Altitude.
6.4.1.1 “Altitude Altitude” Type Callout
When Landing Gear is up or when the Low Altitude Mode is selected, the callout “Altitude Altitude” is provided when
transitioning below the DH setting. The callout is repeated for each transition. For the S-92 the “Altitude Altitude” callout is
always active.
I am not quite sure how this matches with your experience on the 92. Unless you are permanently in Low Altitude mode or have the gear up for approaches? . But of course the last sentence explains it. I am not quite sure how a product spec can say it does one thing normally, but another thing when installed in a particular aircraft. I wonder if its an S92-specific part number. All very confusing ....

To counter your comment that EGPWS has all the functionality of AVAD, how about the suspend function so that you do not routinely hear the call on every landing (meaning that when you do hear it, you react to it). Yes you could wind the bugs down but that is bad as you might forget to wind them up again - whereas suspend self-resets.

HC