PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue EBA
Thread: Virgin Blue EBA
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2007, 05:32
avery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many points to address, so little time! Although I disagree with some of Ol' Shep's interpretations on Workchoices, it makes sense to research this area for yourself - possibly getting something in writing from the FAAA on how the process goes.

Smile, I agree with you that many clauses in the proposed EBA are open to interpretation, which in itself is a problem. You really need to consider worst-case scenarios as well as best-case scenarios, I really think it is being idealistic to presume that the agreement will always be carried out in the 'best intent'. If that were to be the case, it would be written that way, not have so many loopholes.

In regards to the 'Cabin Crew Consultative Committee', I don't mean to be cynical, but really I think that is a total waste of time. Ask any pilot if the PWC has any real power.

Aside from all of the nitty gritty, to insinuate that we may be subject to minimum wages etc, is fairly ridiculous. It makes no sense that Virgin would want angry, disgruntled crew, a higher-turnover rate and be unable to attract high calibre applicants. Economics 101 operates here - supply and demand. Crew and the company need to meet somewhere in the middle of their 'wish lists', so both are content and getting what they want.

It is in everyone's best interests to agree and sign an EBA for stability's sake - just make sure you are educated and happy with what you are signing. It's pretty unlikely that if a document crew rate as a 4/10 gets resoundingly voted down, that the company will come back with one rated a 2/10.

Oh, and let's not stress too much about AWAs, before they are really an issue, Rudd will be PM anyway! x