PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2007, 04:10
theamrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and additionally claim that this because the aircraft was going too fast for them to be so
suggests that flaps would not extend because of it
Guys - this is still only a journo' report - and the expression used was 'might have been caused by....'
Fox Niner - We still don't know where the flap lever was before runway contact - maybe 15, maybe 30, maybe moved back to 15 for an attempt at going around. Maybe the crew never moved the handle beyond 15 because they already knew they were above Vfe for flap 30.
"Therefore, the flap lever was in 15, and the flaps stayed there" The flap handle stays where its put - irrespective of flap load relief operating or not.
In any case, a go-around at Yogya isn't just "completely straighforward" - there are other considerations (as mentioned earlier in the thread: traffic ahead, terrain, etc.).
----------------------------------------
It seems like a lot of people have dived on flap load relief because of the mention of problems with flap extension - to me personally, I wouldn't regard the operation of load relief as a "problem regarding flap extension". It's there for a good reason - the best example being encountering gusts/or shear which might otherwise cause overload damage. The use of the words 'problem' or 'difficulty' implies, to me at least, a malfunction/breakage etc, not the normal operation of the relief system. Flap assym' or other flap drive faults are still possibilities also. At then end of the day, we are still dealing for the most part with media reports - and there are still a lot of unknowns. None of us know what has been said in crew statements - and we are unlikely to find out for quite some time.