PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2007, 02:27
Seloco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few Cloudy:
Exactly what I meant Seloco something has to give - ie. break. You can't wind a screw jack back by pressure of course - that is why it is often used in this application - you can however break the structure / mechanism.
I think we are in agreement FC, but my point is that it is unlikely that the various flap sections would be forced neatly back into their semi-stowed '15' position, which is what the site pictures appear to show; rather they would be distorted upwards but still in their original articulated positions.

Anyway this is now probably academic as the investigating authorities appear to have confirmed that the landing was made without the flaps being in normal landing configuration, and additionally claim that this because the aircraft was going too fast for them to be so. I'm sure a poster will (if they haven't already) set out the minimum speeds for each flap increment for us.

In the meantime it seems that the CVR has now been successfully decoded, which will hopefully shed more light on the cause, and perhaps confirm/deny some of the rumours swirling round Jakarta last week.