PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wideroe Pilot Quits due to security checkpoint hassles
Old 18th Mar 2007, 01:28
TSR2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ridiculous and OTT indignities?

As a regular traveller through Manchester, this is not my experience.
Without exception I have been processed by friendly and efficient security staff and the only complaints I have ever heard from fellow passengers are from a handfull of obnoxious business men who regard the security screening process as nothing more than a great inconvenience. However, I am sure there are some over officious security staff that could hinder rather than help the smooth passage through security, but I have yet to encounter one. One thing is certain that it is a far more pleasant experience passing through security in Manchester than in most European airports.
With regards to the screening of flight crews, I have a little difficulty in understanding the fundamental basis of the objections. Is it that flight crews generally think they should justifiably be treated differently to passengers or indeed do they think they are treated more strictly than passengers. Perhaps its a case of not wanting to comply with regulations or that the regulations present a barrier to the efficient performance of duties. Whatever the reasons, if it leads to confrontation it cannot be good for flight safety and that is a concern for all passengers.
I am certainly not having a go at flight crews, but simply want to understand the fundamental problems you encounter with security checks.