PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Current Daily Freelance rates ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2007, 16:14
DA50driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Rates

I have made a living as a contract pilot for about 2 years now, it can be a great way to make a living if you do it right.

I just paid almost US20000 for a Falcon 900EX recurrent, plus I lost one weeks income. In addition I had to pay for airfare and hotel for the training event. All said US 25000 or so. The rate I charge reflects the costs incurred, plus the fact that I want to make a fair amount of money.

If you are good, and treat your clients right they will happily pay a reasonable rate. Keep in mind that they do not have to pay your taxes or social security, you do.

Freelance writers in my part of the world make US90/hr. They sit on a chair at their house. I have to go away to ply my trade, flying is a little more dangerous that being a writer, and it cost me a lot more to get my initial training.(College plus flying).

With all that said, charge as much as you can. The rich guy in the back can afford it. I am not in the business of subsidizing the travels of wealthy people.

We are professionals and should be compensated as such. What is the daily rate of your lawyer or doctor? It should be somewhere in that neighbourhood.

Good Luck.