PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taxes
Thread: Taxes
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2007, 13:16
gdiphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paxboy. You clearly do what I do when booking a flight. I open a lot of windows with different on line retailers and compare, and in particular compare with the airline offering the same seat. I just wonder if all that is going on is simple capitalism. Each seller is trying it on and if it works then it is market forces in operation. What gets me going is the lack of breakdown of charges. Each site describes extras but each site is not using the same terminology so making it impossible to compare like with like. Hence one has to look at the airline's final price in order to get the one true overall comparison. It is the lack of transparency which is the problem. One other thing I've noticed is the tendency of some sites to put in, and here I quote from my next booking to SYD using Airline Network "Airline Failure Protection £5.00" which I had no option but to buy. I've not looked at the law on whether or not this is a legal requirement on all of us to purchase, but tie-in arrangements are generally speaking illegal. They are anti-competitive and the competition authorities can get very hot under the collar over them. Not all sites put this in and of course don't charge. Alternatively it may be it is required by law but it is not transparent on other sites and so once again a cause for consumer complaint. I notice on this QF ticket's invoice I've bought from Airline Network that they give some breakdown of the overall price. They of course tell me the fare the airline is charging but then there is "Adult Tax + Airline Fees". Once again a cause for complaint. Tax is a fact of life these days when buying air tickets but let's have breakdown. Perhaps if I flew with QF via BKK rather than SIN it would be cheaper by a few pounds. In other words the tax becomes part of the competitive pricing structure and in my view should be broken down to enable the consumer to judge whether or not they are getting the deal they want. Of course the phrase "Airline Fees" is the real mystery. If the airline is charging fees for a service, then I have to ask do I want that service? If I have to have it why is it not part of, and here I quote again from Airline Network's invoice the "International Adult Fare"? Once again perhaps the fees are cheaper if I fly from or through or to a different destination (a bit difficult for SYD I know but you can see what I mean). All this demonstrates a lack of transparency. So, what to do. You have suggested an informal research group. What do you have in mind and for what purpose? Am I right to make the assumption that you like me want more transparency to enable a more informed choice and to put pressure on regulatory authorities?