PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2007, 07:59
MungoP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Com 1... as always with these things there will be a wide variety of incomes according to who / what and where you fly... pretty good are the mid and large sized business jets for large corporations... bottom end are the 135 piston and small turbo-prop pilots willing to fly for food... On the whole you'll be much better paid in Europe with a JAA licence... but the JAA is very much harder to aquire... roughly equivilent to one of the US aviation college BA degrees and hugely more expensive... also costs of living can be a lot higher in many parts of Europe...especially if you're flying out of a London airport..

The much lower cost of living in many parts of the US make it attractive and generally I find that even taking the lower salaries / medicare /federal taxes / state taxes ad nauseaum into account, people generally have a better qulaity of life in the US and more disposable income... you need a VERY LARGE income in most of ( northern ) Europe to enjoy a good quality of life...unless maybe you want to live in Scotland.

The salaries I've been looking at in the US are often quoted as $15 / $20 perhour... with 100 hours pm less tax I would be looking at around $1600 pm ... about 800 UK pounds per month... !!!!!