PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue EBA
Thread: Virgin Blue EBA
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2007, 02:25
smile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on the trip these meal allowances work either way. My last few rosters show me coming out ahead under the new system. I was actually pretty surprised!! (Remember - that we don't get o/night allowances for day trips, so we haven't lost anything there. And WE WILL be losing o/night payment for red-eyes either way. It turns out that this is illegal and the ATO is onto it- this is not the company just being mean)

Whilst the notification has been extended by one hour for calling in sick- the term "unforseen circumstances" has been added. It looks like we can no longer get into trouble if we call in under this time because of last minute issues.

I like that we can cash out one weeks annual leave.

I like that you no longer get penalised for doing ground duties whilst pregnant. You get paid at your current rate of pay. (Not the measly $15/ hours it is at the moment). And the option to extend your mat leave is handy if you can afford it.

Leave of absence is a good addition.

We can work quite a few extra hours than we are doing now- but we will be getting monthly overtime for them. (Remember that the PBS is coming in either way. This system is a roster optimisation system so you can also say good-bye to the 120hours under the current system. We will be getting maxed out rosters either way. From what I understand the flexibility built into the proposed EBA allows the PBS to better suit our bids, whereas the current EBA's rules may make getting your bids a little harder).

I was a little annoyed at the non-credit training clause in the beginning. However It is balanced out by the fact that our 10 days off per month have not been pro-rated to suit the 28day rosters. We actually work out to be 5 days ahead for the year. I have also seen rosters that include these non-credit days and they really aren't that bad. There are also conditions built into the system to ensure we don't get flogged around these training days (ie still plenty of time to study for EP's) (and if they need to train us for more than 2days in any one month- those days DO count towards our credit hours)

I know that looking at the daily duty hour limitation tables are quite scary! They are some very long days. However just remember that the average hours per day is about 7.2. So not all days will be long days. You can also bid under the PBS system to avoid long days. And.... if you are feeling tired or fatigued you can have your duty changed or be offloaded. This is something the company will be taking very seriously (I am guessing to avoid any legal issues).

Happy that we can not sign on before 0600 after a day off.

Happy with the duty hour credits we get for stand-by duties.

Very Very Very happy with the increased percentage of part-time positions. This should help the lists move quite well. (Please note that the Union did say that this will probably be the first negotiating point if this EBA gets voted down.)

Sorry to every-one that this is so long winded- but it has been a little therapeutic for me to write it all down to help with my decision.

Disclaimer- ok so spelling a grammar may not be the best- that’s not the point here. Also…………. This is how the EBA looks to ME- I am not pretending to know best.

Love SMILE