PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airprox question?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2007, 22:03
Bob the Hamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airprox question?

I am interested in views about the following incident.

Fighting a 30 knot head wind in a c150, open FIR, airspeed 85-90 knots ground speed around 60 knots, east - west north of Cranfield and working Cranfield approach, I am aware of traffic doing IFR approach work into Cranfield. The track takes me just south of Bedford and Poddington disused. I am at 2300 feet and there is jetstream following an IFR approach procedure. Viz approx 25 to 30k. I see the jetstream out of my left (port window) level reported at 2500 feet and the aircraft is heading directly towards me with landing light on. I have reported my level and position on a regular basis at the request of Cranfield approach, the Jetstream and I both know the situation.

I expect the Jetstream to turn slightly to the right and pass behind me and observe for a couple of seconds - no action. Given the speed of a jet I have few options, turn right, no dice - he is much faster than me, turn left - head on collision, go up - he is supposed to be higher than me - not an option so I opt to descend and lose sight of the Jetstream.

I hear on the radio - "that Cessna was 50 feet below, that Cessna was 50 feet below"

I intend to file a CHIRP report.

What would you do?

Bob

Last edited by Bob the Hamster; 16th Mar 2007 at 22:16.