PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military/Civilian coordination (again)
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2007, 16:48
Wee Jock McPlop

Toadpool,

You make some valid points reference civ/mil co-ord. Yes indeed, greater harmonisation between us would have far reaching benefits. I understand that there is/was work going on to bring us all closer together, but where that has got to, i'm not so sure. Co-ordination between two mil ATCOs is usually pretty slick - same with two civil ATCOs. Put a mil ATCO and a civil ATCO together for co-ord and that is where it can potentially get quite protracted - serves to illustrate your point well. However, you have to understand that the mil guys do have it drummed into them from the outset. So if the mil guys fall back on what their taught, I for one understand. It might be protracted and slightly defensive, but that's life. If they don't adhere to the regs, the supervisor, LEO(LCE) or other exec will make damn sure they will the next time.

By the way, any traffic information is dead information once passed. I was taught that in the military and still use it today as a civil ATCO. If that traffic is giving you any concern, then co-ordinate it - job done. Makes you have to co-ordinate more, but sometimes that gives you less heartache in then end.

If life is getting so difficult, then maybe your unit execs can revisit the issue with the ATC execs at the RAF unit and try and get a letter of agreement drawn up? Maybe that would help reduce your workload? Have you got together with the RAF guys via liaison visits and chewed the fat with them? These serve to create a better overall understanding of each others operating problems and perhaps make things work just a little better. We do it up our neck of the woods and it works just fine - hic !! Just suggestions of course - you may have already gone down that road already.

AYR TC,

What's wrong with 'report feet wet/feet dry'? Same meaning as 'report coasting out/coasting in' and just as unambiguous, with absolutely no danger of misinterpretation. So what's the problem? It may even have been me that used it on you and I look forward to using it again! I'm ex-RAF, not RN, but the meaning of the instruction is clear and, if your under a FIS (as you probably were), it serves as a prompt to me when I need to chuck you to the next unit - job done. Maybe you've just got a problem with 'mil' phraseology, no matter how straightforward/unambiguous it is? Nothing in the Manual...........

Best wishes,

WJMcP