PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2007, 12:36
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Port Moresby

I was in POM for one week in November and again February. I must say that the place appears to have deteriorated somewhat with lack of R&M on roads, buildings and whatever. Even the airport terminals automatic glass doors appeared to be on permanent open position with all and sundry wandering each whichever way!

The Dero Club was filled with the usual gang, some under the 'cone of silence' others propping up the bar and or tables.

The yachtie was a thriving throng of humanity especially during Friday's Joker draw that went off while I was there for some K740,000. A very happy female member of long standing and hard working club member took the loot!

Did not get up into the hills, but from all acounts in posguria, the highway has again fallen in disrepair.

Telecom is hopeless with both local and international connections terrible. Only a few years ago the country had the best telecom infrastructure in the pacific basin. If you want a mobile simcard, you buy but then have to wait 3 days before it can be activated. I think that you can get an i-net connection(if the phone works) for around K5000 month (mine in Subic is K62/month for wireless dsl unlimited use.)

But, there did appear to be lots of fairly happy people arround the places that I visited, though crime and corruption is still apparent.

Maybe Ozexpurt can give us a more balanced report on the place providing that he does get out and about under the cover of darkness.

kia ora!