PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2007, 09:50
stevoneil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOUR 4 - Straight and Level ii

Well today the weather was fab. taxied out and took off by myself and climbed to cruising altitude remembering more to use the rudder. Did some zooming about for a bit and then came in to land. I got within about 20ft of the runway surface but veered off over the grass so in an instant i heard "I HAVE CONTROL" once again and after a quick adjustment we landed safely. I was really angry and frustrated at not being able to land but i spose it will come with time.

The main thing I noticed was that it took me a good 15-20 minutes to get used to the aircraft. maybe I had just finally mastered the rudder with turns but i started to feel like I was riding a motorcycle and feeling more at one with the aircraft. it clicked after a certain amount of time and I remember feeling the same with other lessons too.

I wonder then If it would be more beneficial to have two 2 hr stint twice a month rather than one lesson a week? each lesson I waste a good 15 minutes settling into the plane and relaxing into fluid movements etc. Can a more experienced pilot give me some advice on this?