PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Law
Thread: Aviation Law
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2007, 06:18
YesTAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation Law

For no particular reason, I'm trying to understand the realtionship between State Law and Federal Law regarding aviation. The thing that got me thinking about this was the dcision by the State Government of Victoria to "ban" aerial advertising over certain venues. in addition, the relationship between seaplane operators and water police is intruiging, as are the local police "investigating " accidents. Then there is the question of local councils purporting to "ban" aircraft from landing on private property.

I don't think the State of Victoria has the Constitutional power to do anything but watch aircraft fly, but I can't find any references. I know CASA permission is required to "fly over public gatherings etc.

My last look at this subject was i about 1982, when I was advised that Victoria and at least one other state had ceded their powers over air navigation to the crown, and WA and NSW hadn't - (which was why certain regional airlines existed).

Can anyone point to any references which establish jurisdiction, or the lack of it?