PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Al Udeid air base
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2007, 01:08
Runaway Gun

Location: these mist covered mountains are a home now for me.
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
What you see at the Deid

Karaoke, Bingo, Country Music, Beef Jerky, Gatorade, No exposed skin, Anti-litigation Warning signs everywhere, Kamikaze Road Crossings, Reflective Belts, stares for not standing for the American Anthem, Big Guns at the breakfast table/library/post office/pool, men standing awfully close to other men in the swimming pool, no "Please", "Thankyou" or "Y'all hava narce dayy", slow walking, grunting, three beers, leaky smelly toilets, graffiti, sunburnt Brits, dust, sunlight, Pizza Hut boxes, and cheap shoes.
Five of the most commonly heard phrases, and explanations:
"huhh?" = Pardon me, I didn't quite understand what you mean. Could you please explain?
"Arrrr-di !!" = May I please see your ID, kind sir.
"You know what ahm sayin? Dat's what ahm tokking bout" = I'm breathing, and flapping my mouth around, both at the same time !!
" " (whir/click/silence) = vacant expression when you ask a question.
"Oh, you is from that French Royal Queens Army Force? How cute" = What a shame you can't speak American as well as we do. No wonder you don't understand us. Still, I'm glad that you foreign Antarcticans are here buying our beer and cleaning our quarters. Does your island border on Iraq? I think it's great that your President cleans our Presidents' bathroom. Are you not standing for our Anthem? Do you really know Borat personally? You speak Britainish quite well for a foreigner. Isn't his here Karaoke competition at 200dB outside your sleeping quarters just the best fun? You know what ahm sayin? Dat's what ahm tokking bout.

Bottom Line: Just be thankful that you aren't in a shythole somewhere, getting shot at.